Well, it must be a tradition for me to become so busy in October that I can’t post regularly. It happened last year and again this year. Its nothing new for me to become entirely occupied with my projects daily, but this year I can’t place the blame on just a Halloween party and our fabulous costumes. We have been consumed with my my 11-year-old daughter Macy’s ballet life. Our chic tween, will be a solider in The Nutcracker with New York City Ballet at Lincoln Center this year. We are so proud and excited for her! She is a student at School of American Ballet and throughout the year she has amazing opportunities to be invited to perform with NYCB, last May she also performed in Firebird. Since the last week of September she has attended 2 days of rehearsals a week on top of her 4 days of regular class. Starting the day after Thanksgiving she will be in performances every other day…24 performances in 6 weeks to be exact!
While my cookie, cake, Halloween and craft to-do posts have piled up, I really just want to fast forward to current events because the Christmas season happens in a blink and I want to enjoy it and share it! So lets just talk Nutcracker gifts, shall we? Since I proudly made Macy’s announcements on social media Ive gotten a few requests for gift ideas to commemorate her experience, as well as other ballet moms asking for ideas for their own ballerinas. I already had a pinterest board and desktop file full of gift ideas so why not make a post for it?
I looked for gifts that were not only a symbol of the nutcracker suite, but also sings to a ballerina’s heart: hello gorgeous pointe shoes! What really fueled the idea for this post was my excitement for a tastemakers tag sale at One Kings Lane featuring vintage and bespoke NYCB items. Signed point shoes, vintage costumes & play books and beautiful canvas prints. I hopped on One Kings Lane 5 minutes before the sale started yesterday, I banged on the door at “0 minutes” and I went straight for a colorful tutu print by Wendy Whelan, NYCB principal dancer and photographer. After I bought it within in 2 minutes of opening, I watched all the signed toe shoes be scooped up with in 5 min and half the entire sale sold in 10 minutes. My print was limited to a dozen and sold out in 30 minutes. Im so glad I was on top of that one!! I intended to make a post with one of a kind items from that sale, but there isn’t anything left! I sill included 2 items for inspiration in your search for a special gift. See item info and links below.
1. Nutcracker Sugarplum Fairy fine art print 8×10, $35 – Clementseye.etsy.com
2. Marizpan and Candy Cane NYCB Tonner Dolls – collectors items that can be found on ebay
3. Signed Pointe shoes from Tiler Peck, NYCB principal dancer, $150- One Kings Lane, sold out :( Signed pointe shoes pop up in different places like eBay too, so be on the look out, having a pair that once belong to well known ballerina is a dream for aspiring young dancers. If you can’t find a signed pair, a custom made embellished pair of pointe shoes are the next best thing – Pointe Creations, (prepare for beauty overload when you click on this link)
4. Nutcracker set of 8 note cards, $19 – Clafoutis For her thank you notes to friends coming to see her perform!
5. This SWEET Clara doll has a disclaimer: you have to make it yourself! Wee Wonderfuls sells rag doll patterns…but maybe you could request a custom doll, its worth a shot!
6. Tutu Print by Wendy Whelan NYCB principal dancer and photographer, $55 – One Kings Lane, sold out :( again sorry to post an unavailable item, but its TUTU gorgeous to not include. Use this image as a inspirational springboard for your search of a similar print. UPDATE: OKL has renewed quantities of this print, but sale ends 12/15
7. Official NYCB Headshot of Allegra Kent, $15 – eBay So graceful, so ethereal! I’m thisclose to ordering this for Macy. Allegra Kent was a NYCB principal dancer joining at age 15 in 1953, she danced for 28 years!
8. Sugarplum Fairy t-shirt, $24 – Covet Dance She’d wear it proudly all year!
9. Nutcracker Illustration Art, $15 – TheArtfulBumblebee.etsy.com These colorful and playful illustrations come as cards or 8×10 prints
10. Nutcracker cookies, $54 per dozen – By yours truly! Nikkiikkin.etsy Im making these puppies like hotcakes this season, fresh, homemade, so delicious and an absolute knockout in detail. This Romeo has special powers, watch as the little girls squeal with delight, I promise some nearly cried from joy when Macy passed them out to her dance class last year.
11. Jewelry is always a girls best friend. Ive selected 3 necklaces that will be a special reminder of the hard work and beauty she displayed on stage. Tutu Style, $38 – SharonTasker.etsy.com, Little Ballerina Ballet Shoes, $24 – SmallBlueThings.etsy.com, Personalized Nutcracker Necklace, $27.50 – BeautifulAsYou.etsy.com
12. It’s a trinket box, it’s a decoration, it’s just really dreamy. Sugarplum fairy holiday box, $30 – SparkleLovesWhimsey.etsy.com
13. Sugarplum fairy ornament, $24.95 – PetalBelles.etsy.com Macy still loves the idea of fairies and their magical world, this is a nutcracker crossover, so its perfect and there is no reason that it has to be packed away with the Christmas tree.
I hope you enjoyed my list and found something that you think your ballerina would cherish. I also have a pinterest board with many other ideas, check it out HERE.